Thursday, December 10, 2009

project 8: listed store hours

time: 2 hours
This project required me to scrape the existing hours off of the storefront window and replace the old hours with new hours. I used some old dictionaries as reference for the font that I hand drew. This is where my experience painting illustrations on the Hastings storefront came in handy. I drew the new text onto a piece of tracing paper so that I could see through the other side, instead of trying to draw the text backwards. I taped this text to the outside of the window, which happened to be much thicker than any other windows I have worked with. I closed one eye so that my vision would read more like a camera and moved my head along with each letter so that I didn't skew the text. I only drew the "skeleton" of the letter since I was just using my original text illustration as spacing references. I then used the oil-based sharpie to shape the letters. This was probably one of my very favorite projects because I felt honored to change something so permanent and I love drawing text. It was also very challenging to translate what I wanted into a reality because of the thick marker, but that made it more fun. For some reason, this is the only picture I can find at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Oil-based sharpie sounds cool. So is this the point that they trusted you to do your own designing, or did corporate have any influence on the lettering and design?

    ReplyDelete