Tuesday, December 8, 2009

project 1: fireplace

time: 12 hours
I immediately got to work on the first day of my internship. My job was to stain about 200 2x4's in various wood tones for the creation of a fire place in the area of the store called "Modern Shed." The colors were done in different proportions so that the finished product would not seem patterned or repeated. After a day and a half of staining wood, my next job was to help assemble sections of the fireplace. This was done by screwing together about 6 2x4's at a time. The idea was for the front of the fireplace to be flush, but for the sides of the fireplace to be uneven. Once a section of 6 or so boards was put together, we screwed that section to another section which was attached to the wall. This got harder and harder as we climbed to the top. I really liked the fireplace that was in Anthropologie of San Francisco because their wood seemed to have a very rough texture on all of the edges-- not just where the ends had been chopped. That Anthropologie also chose to use an icey blue stain as one of their colors which I thought looked really great with the rest of the warm colors.


1 comment:

  1. I think those are 1x3's instead of 2x4's. Were you in communication with the staff at the SF store?

    ReplyDelete