Thursday, December 10, 2009

project 10: welcome home II

Hannah and I really didn't like this project at all, which really made it more frustrating to work on when it was hard. But we totally powered through it. The window was supposed to look like a road map, and we were supposed to use electrical tape, masking tape, and paint as streets and railroads. I did like getting to write the names of streets on the windows. I really like to write backwards. When they first asked me if I could write backwards when I did the hours on the window, I got really excited and told them that I always practice writing backwards and drawing with my left hand. I never had a use for it until then, so that was pretty awesome. What didn't occur to me until after we had to remove this was how difficult masking tape was to remove. I then remembered how the masking tape turned into a very hardened glue-like substance after being exposed to the summer heat and sun on the Hastings window. I was never able to remove it off of the plastic frame where I left small portions of tape. The entire window was covered in an almost gorilla glue like substance that couldn't be scraped off. It was so terrible. Hannah tried to just scrape it, then she tried window cleaner, and finally she had to use Goo Gone. It stunk so bad. We used the entire bottle of Goo Gone on the window so scrape off windows. These windows are huge. They are roughly 4-6 times the area of the Hastings store front windows. It's hard to describe the heat of the sun through big windows without actually feeling it. It was so hot and the smell was so bad that Hannah and I each had to stop every few minutes so that we didn't pass out and fall off the ladder. Then we windexed the windows and scrubbed them, only to find that there was still a film. We had to use the last of the Goo Gone bottle to clean off the window, followed by another windexing. I had experienced paper macheing and painting the store front of Hastings without gloves for about 30 hours in mid-December Missouri weather and how intense that was. I named the streets after each of the 5 streets I have lived on in the last couple of years. Famous streets of Warrensburg, Missouri. I named one street after my cat, Tina. I had a Pine, a Borland, a Troost and a Prospect. I named one after the places where my grandmother lived. I asked a worker there what the name of the street he grew up on was called. That part was fun. I also to happened to have been raised from birth-9 in Roseville, CA where Anthropologie was located. Anthropologie is a very high class store, and I found it ironic that it was located so close to the seemingly "poor," broken down trailer park that I had grown up in. have never been so overwhelmed from working on anything after that morning. It was terrible.





1 comment: